Student Login

Frequently Asked Questions

The following page contains some of the most common questions we receive from both potential and existing students, sorted by category. If your question is not included on this page, feel free to contact us via LiveChat, email or phone.


Question: Is Humboldt State University accredited?
Answer: Yes. Humboldt State University (HSU) is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), a regional accrediting agency serving a diverse membership of public and private higher education institutions. For more details on HSU's accreditation, please visit our Graduate Credit page.

Question: Is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB)?
Answer: Yes., BBB accredited since 2008, meets all BBB Accreditation Standards and supports the principles of BBB which include ethical business practices, honesty, integrity and trust.

Ingrain, Inc BBB Business Review

Graduate Level Credit

Question: When will I be able to register for academic credit at the post-baccalaureate level with Humboldt State University?
Answer: Once a course is successfully completed, a secure link to the HSU online portal is made available within your course dashboard. You may register for credit anytime after this link is made available.

Question: How do I request and receive an official transcript from Humboldt State University (HSU)?
Answer: After you have successfully registered for credit with Humboldt, you will receive an email from HSU with your student ID. This email includes instructions on how to order official transcripts for your completed coursework.

Question: How long does it take to receive an official transcript from Humboldt State University?
Answer: Once you have successfully ordered your transcripts, you can expect them to arrive at their final destination within 2 weeks. The staff at HSU is very responsive, and great at what they do. There are expedited options available...if you need things to move along a bit faster, just give them a call.

Course Numbers and Approval

Question: Are the courses approved in my state?
Answer: Requirements in each state are dependent on license/certificate type. The academic credit offered through Humboldt State University is post-baccalaureate level appropriate for credentialed teachers which do not require admission to a graduate program. For more information on your specific state requirements, visit our State Renewal Requirements page.

Question: I need prior approval from my district/school. Where can I find the course numbers for each course?
Answer: In the course catalog, you will find an "outline" icon within each course tile. Simply click this icon, and the course outline will be displayed, showing the course numbers, as well as any additional information for each course. You may print or share these outlines by clicking on the "print or share" text provided.

Registering for Courses

Question: Why are the Course Fees separate from the Credit Fees through Humboldt State University?
Answer: There are 2 reasons for this:
--The first is to give students/teachers the opportunity to spread out the costs for taking courses for license/certificate renewal and/or salary advancement purposes.
--The second reason is that, in some cases, students/teachers receive prior approval for our courses, and do not require the additional post-baccalaureate level credit offered.

Question: If I registered today, when would I start the courses?
Answer: You can start right away, as access to courses is issued immediately upon successful payment of course fees.

Question: Is there an expiration date for my courses?
Answer: Yes. To be clear:
--There is a One (1) year expiration for each course from the date of enrollment. Chances are, you will certainly have completed your coursework by then. The purpose of this expiration date is to make sure that you are enrolled in the most current courses available.
--From the date a course has been officially completed, you have up to One (1) year to register for your credit with Humboldt State University.

Completing Courses

Question: Can courses be completed over the summer, or do some of the course projects need to be done during the school year?
Answer: All course projects have been created with flexibility for summer enrollment. We ask that students, if not currently teaching, reflect on past experiences or future intentions.

Question: What if I receive a grade below an 80%(B) on an assignment while taking a course?
Answer: Our course delivery method is designed to ensure the success of students before completing all coursework. There are 4 specific graded elements within each course. Quizzes, Final Exam, Project Reflections and a Final Learning Statement.
--Quizzes: An 80% or better score is required to "unlock" the next module within a course. Students are given as many times as needed to reach this score in order to unlock the next module.
--Final Exam: An 80% score is required to successfully complete the final exam. In the case a students does not pass the final exam, students are offered an opportunity to retake the final exam.
--Project Reflections and Final Learning Statement: Project reflections and the final learning statement are subject to our grading rubric (provided within each course). If submissions do not meet the requirements, the instructor will communicate with the student and provide an opportunity to edit and resubmit the written materials.

Question: Would I need to purchase books or additional materials?
Answer: No additional materials are needed. Everything is provided online and available within each course dashboard.